At Stratford City Cars we take our responsibility towards the environment seriously and as a direct result we offer our clients a low emission transport option in the form of the Toyota Prius and our comprehensive range of Volkswagen vehicles fitted with Blue motion Technology.
The Toyota Prius is quite easily ranked amongst the top 5 least emitting vehicles in the UK. The Department for Transport has ranked the Toyota Prius as the second most fuel efficient and lowest CO2-emitting new car within the United Kingdom.
Our Volkswagen range of Blue motion vehicles harnesses a range of innovative energy-saving technologies, from automatic start/stop to low rolling resistance tyres which all work to cut fuel consumption and reduce harmful emissions.
At Stratford City Cars we operate what we call our Eco-driving programme. This is where we ensure each and every driver is trained to improve his/her driving techniques in order to reduce CO2 emissions and to save on unnecessary fuel consumption.
Our programme begins in the class room, where an instructor teaches our drivers the techniques needed to improve their fuel efficiency. We then encourage and monitor our drivers and continue to support them in developing and integrating such techniques into their normal driving habit.
Our Eco-Driving Programme.
- Drive off immediately after starting your engine.
- Changing gears more smoothly and keeping revs below 2500rpm.
- Reduce hard acceleration and sharp breaking as this uses more fuel.
- Keeping the speed steady, as fuel consumption is most efficient between 40–60mph.
- Turning the engine off when in heavy traffic.
- Keep your tires correctly inflated actually improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions by a further 5%.
- Don’t carry unnecessary loads in the boot, this increases fuel consumption.
- Plan journey’s/routes to reduces unnecessary mileage.
- Use air conditioning and heaters sparingly.
- Make sure that vehicles are regularly serviced.
We have been extremely successful in reducing our dead mileage by 25% (whereby a driver is running empty) through utilising GPS technology. By having the ability to pinpoint a car which is nearer to a customer’s location, we have made significant inroads in reducing our CO2 emissions and have dramatically improved the overall efficiency of both our fleet and service.
- We currently recycle the majority of our office waste including paper, cans, cups, printer cartridges and IT equipment; this has reduced our waste going to landfill by 40%.
- We aim to source sustainable supplies and use recycled paper and also for printing of literature where possible.
- We have implemented a ‘Switch Off’ policy whereby any equipment not being used is switched off.
- We have installed a range of new energy efficient computers in our control room, these units use 10% of the energy used by a normal PC
- We recognise that communicating via email is environmentally friendly and significantly reduces consumption of paper, ink and energy. As a direct result of this innovation we now electronically invoice 80% of our clients.